Friday, March 7, 2008

BRF: Nehemiah 7-10

First things first, its the last part of Nehemiah for this week. We'll read chapters 11- 13 until next Friday. Nehemiah has been a big-time blessing this week. I've needed it. I was all gung-ho to get my stone wall started on. We have a lot to work on here at Watchthesky, if you'd like to hear all about it come on over some afternoon for tea, and hopefully I won't depress you. :) I really had no idea it would be so hard to work with my one hand and hold my sword with the other. No idea. The thing is I didn't fall apart, I could have, but I didn't. This is a good thing. Some of the last words of my review would come to mind every time I was on the breaking point.
"I need to remember this when I get to the tough spots in life and hear less than encouraging words from others. I need to remember Nehemiah when I'm called to build and everything seems against me and no one thinks its possible. I need to keep one hand on my sword at my side, and continue working with my other. I need keep plugging away and trust God with the results. I will remember. I must.
The God of heaven Himself will prosper us; therefore we His servants will arise and build."

Oh yes, I had my moments. It was a busy week with many things pulling for my attention. And yes, I cried and wanted to forget it all and just pretend my wall wasn't that important, but I couldn't. God is faithful, and He always will be. I'm so glad to be getting to know Nehemiah. So glad.

As for this weeks reading, it was hard to concentrate. I wanted to continue reading the first few chapters, but here goes for chapters 7-10:

Nehemiah had reorganized the Israelites and sparked their faith again. God was accomplishing great things through Him. Go Nehemiah Go!
The Israelites are always brought back to the law. God's law. It was important that they be brought back to the basics every time they repented and this time was no exception. The people repented and confessed their sin and showed great signs of changing their ways. They showed interest in the law and promised to obey. I do have a feeling though that the story will remain the same and they will fall away yet again before the book is over.
Although the Israelites ALWAYS fall away there are those few in all of our reading that give me tremendous hope. The very first time I read the new chapters this verse hit me,
"that I gave the charge of Jerusalem to my brother Hanani, and Hananiah the leader of the citadel, for he was a faithful man and feared God more than many."

It is a great encouragement to be able to find the Nehemiah's and Hananiahs in scripture. It is possible to live out a deep unwavering faith. Though this verse also says that you will be alone much of the time. Hananiah feared God more than many. It means that when He trusted God on that level everyone else thought he was a bit crazy, overboard, intense etc... A faith like that will separate those who think they let their faith make a radical difference in their lives and those who actually do. Their are those who believe, and their are those who live it. It's true. Nehemiah and Hananiah are those people. I hope us BRF ladies will turn out that way too.
These past 2 weeks of Book Reviews have been so good. Hard but good. I can tell that there is a battle going on with me and I am so going to conquer. Oh yes I am. I still say 'bring it on!', I'm just saying it a little softer than before. :)

And now, here is Mr.Linky for any reviews that make their way into blogland.

If you don't know about Book Review Friday please see my sidebar for all the details, and then join in with us.

No comments: