Friday, October 19, 2007

Book Review Friday: 2 Peter

Edited to add my review :)

First things first, lets read the book of Zephaniah this next week. Why not!?! :)
So read it through each day and more if you like until next Friday and we'll all write something we learned or loved from it. I'm thinking we'll all learn something since most, if not all, haven't read it before. Exciting eh!?

Some weeks I come away from my reading a little frustrated and this was one of those weeks. I just couldn't understand stuff. It wasn't a long book and it doesn't seem like a terribly hard one either but I'm just running into a brick wall for the most part. Nothing came together except for a thought on brotherly kindness and love.

The most confusing was 1:5-9. Where Peter talked about adding virtue and knowledge, self-control and perseverance and godliness. And then brotherly kindness and love. If I lack these things I'm blind and shortsighted and living as if I'm not saved! I'm stumped. Maybe that is my clue with this book. I have a lot of soul searching to do. I am feeling very shortsighted this week and reading through that list, and seeing all the ones that don't apply to me, I can understand why I'm having a hard time. God has many ways of teaching lessons and maybe this is one.

The one verse that I really did get was 2:8 "(for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented his righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing their lawless deeds)". How can we expect to be anything but spiritually messed up if we allow our lives to be surrounded by things that aren't glorifying to God?! Many of us have those 'strange wives' that Anne wrote about so well a couple weeks ago. We need to be in the world but not of it.

Anyway, that's my review. Late & lame. What can you do though. I learned a bit of a lesson this week, I have A LOT to learn and I'm missing out on A LOT. But that's good right, it's all part of the journey. :) Whenever another review pops up here I'll be quite excited.
Have a great weekend. I'm planning to have another 'Build Rome in a Day' day here. Lots to get done. Since apple picking started many things have fallen behind and I'm going to do my best to deal with them all in a 12 hour period. In the words of Bob the builder, "Can we do it? Yes we can!!"

If you don't usually read your Bible or can't seem to make it a habit why don't you come along for the ride on BRF and try it out? The info for it is up in my sidebar to explain what we're all about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shannon 3:16 does tell us that there are things in God's Word hard to be understood. I believe if each of us is honest, we would agree that there is much to be changed in our lives if we expect to grow closer to the Lord and see His blessings. Good honest review. I am thankful for it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having the same troubles I am!