Friday, November 23, 2007

Book Review Friday: Exodus 6-10

First things first, we'll be moving along to chapters 11-15 until next Friday. I know that there are still ladies that are doing this reading but not many reviews. I'm not here to put a guilt trip on you over the lack of names on Mr.Linky, it really doesn't matter whether there are reviews for everyone else to read,that's not the point. The fact is I really really really hope you are writing down somewhere what God shows you in the scripture you read. We miss so much by neglecting that. So please ladies keep on reading and learning and writing. Whether you have a blog to post it on, or a handy notebook to help you concentrate and remember all that you see as you read, keep writing. :)

As for Exodus 6-10. I am no scholar and I know there are many very mature Christians out there who would disagree but...... I really don't understand how anyone could read these chapters and not see 'election' written all over the place. It's totally a black & white issue to me. But I'm willing to be shown if it isn't. Like I said, I'm no scholar. :)
The fact that God made a covenant with the Israelites way back when and chose them as His special people would be enough to convince me. They were no more deserving than the guys next door. They were sinful humans who God had mercy on. They didn't choose God, God chose them. But the BIG thing was reading over and over about how God hardened Pharaoh's heart. God hardened Pharaoh's heart! Pharaoh really didn't have a choice in the matter from what I can tell.
"And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt." 7:3
"Go in to Pharaoh; for I have hardened his heart and the hearts of his servants, that I may show these signs of Mine before him, and that you may tell in the hearing of your son and your son's son the mighty things I have done in Egypt, and My signs which I have done among them, that you may know that I am the Lord." 10:1-3

And it always comes back to giving God glory.

Seeing how this bit of history unravels and the fact that God so blatantly chooses some people to bless and others to harden against Himself makes one like me overcome with thankfulness that I am not Pharaoh! It's not that I don't deserve all that the Egyptians got, I do, I really do. I deserve for God to show His judgments in my life. But God chose me to be one of the ones who saw who He is by blessing me instead of through His judgements. I don't understand why but it certainly brings a deeper meaning to the word thankful. I was completely dead in my sins, even at that tender age of 5 or 6, and God chose to open my eyes and give me life. I am totally & completely dependant on Him and could not of understood to even make a choice for eternity had He not worked in my heart in the first place. God is in complete control of everything, including my salvation.
"I will take you as My people and I will be your God. Then you shall know that I am the Lord your God who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians." 6:7

From now on every time I hear the stories of people like the Egyptians in the scriptures I hope it makes me thankful instead of self-righteous. God's mercy is great, and I'm just another Pharaoh that God took pity on. Please God, don't every harden my heart towards you!!

Okay, now if anyone had a review to post here is Mr.Linky for you. We would all love to read them no matter how long or short. :)

No comments: