Thursday, November 22, 2007

Fall Pumpkin Squares

Really, this recipe is more like a cake than bars. These are delicious whether you use pumpkin or squash but my favourite so far is using our very own squash from our very own garden to make this wonderful cake. I've got a pan in the oven as I type this. YUM!!!

In bowl sift together: (I don't have a sifter big enough so I just use a whisk to stir it. No baking soda clumps!)
2 Cups Flour
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt

In large bowl mix:
1 Cup Oil
2 Cups Sugar
4 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Cups Cooked Pumpkin or Squash

Mix dry ingredients into the wet and pour into 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean). It took all of the 30 minutes for mine to be done.

Icing:
2 to 2 3/4 Cups Icing Sugar
8 to 11 oz Cream Cheese softened
3/4 Cup Butter
2 tsp Vanilla

Spread on cooled pumpkin squares. Keep refrigerated.

Enjoy! I know we're going to love dessert tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look so good. I am sure I can eat them, but I am not sure I could make them. After Halloween last year I tried to cook up our pumpkins, and I had hives from the neck down while I was cooking it on the stove (and stuffed up too). I'll have to rely on other people for these goodies. I'll pass the recipe along!

Shannon said...

Mercy Lori! What a shame! Well, if I know you're comin sometime I'll bake a cake for you. :) Does that happen with Squash too???

Anonymous said...

I'm good with squash, but I love it sooo much I wouldn't want to put it into anything and share it. Selfish aren't I?