Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My spurt of the moment.

Okay, I'm ready to sell #59. Any takers?? We haven't even officially paid for her yet and I'm tempted to throw in the towel.


I've been reading "The Family Cow" to the kids in preparation for Monday and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed again. I go in spurts. One moment I'm all set and ready for this adventure and the next minute I'm thinking we're insane. Usually the insane feelings come when I'm tired and life is hectic. Cuz, well, life is hectic... and now we're going to have a cow on top of it all! But lets think about the benefits shall we:

* Great character training for each of us as a family.
* Ultimate homeschooling adventure in our backyard.
* Kids learn the importance of working hard and doing a job well whether they feel like it or not.
* I don't have to ration milk anymore to make it last for a week.
* We will have all the milk and butter we want.
* We'll be saving a lot of money (if nothing goes terribly wrong) on milk & butter.
* Our gardens will grow very well with our own home grown manure. (ewwwww!)

There are more benefits but those are the main ones we're thinking of. I'm not going to list the disadvantages because I just might get depressed, and I'm thinking that the value of the benefits totally out-weigh them anyway.

One thing that worries me a bit is that in our book we're reading the author says no one should get a cow if they don't like animals, if you don't have dogs or cats already, and love the idea of having a cow. Mercy, I'm totally unqualified then. Good old #59 is a means to an end for me. I hate animals. They are dirty, smelly, hairy things that cost money and tie you down (just being honest). Hubby isn't excited about getting the huge bulky animal either, just the product she'll produce. That product being two-fold with milk and cream, and also hard working young men.

I have learned in the past few hours that we will be milking at 7am & 5pm everyday, and we won't be purchasing silage. Apparently silage isn't the best buy for just a cow or two, hay is... just in case you wanted to know. :)

3 comments:

Erin said...

Ewww. I don't think I could put manure on my garden. I know, it's good for it but I don't think I could handle the thought. That might just be my morning sickness talking though. The more I think of making my own little garden, the more excited I get.

I think #59 will provide you with some interesting blog topics over the next while...well, your blogs are always interesting...you know what i mean.

ps...your word verification this time looked way too closely to a very bad word :)

Anonymous said...

I already love #59. So maybe that will count...someone you know loves your cow :) And I bet your kids will too. So, maybe YOU don't have to necessarily like animals for the cow to be loved :)

I still don't understand how anyone could not like animals... :)

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! Wow! You bought a cow! That is incredible! I can't wait to hear how it goes!! :)